Orange County, California

orange coast beach

IEC@OCC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Starting Session 1 in January 2022, we will be returning to our classrooms for in-person classes. Face masks will be required indoors but not outside. We will be issuing I-20s for students to enter the U.S.

Yes, there have been recent updates about travel restrictions. Visit the CDC International Travel during Covid-19 page for the most up-to-date information.

Please note, as of January 26th, all airline travelers to the U.S. will be asked to provide recent proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19.  Review the CDC's negative COVID-19 testing requirements prior to travel to the U.S.

Additionally, as of November 8, 2021, the most recent Presidential Proclamation will require all adult travelers show proof of full vaccination prior to travel to the U.S.

There are limited exceptions to this federal vaccine mandate including for those in countries with limited vaccine availability and for those who are under the age of 18.  Read details about exceptions and prepare an Excepted Covered Individual Attestation if applicable.

If leaving the U.S., we advise you to check with your airline as many airlines and countries are also requiring testing before traveling out of the U.S.

COVID vaccines are free to all. See the OCC COVID info webpage for more information  

Yes, AETNA will waive costs for COVID-19 diagnostic testing for patients who meet the CDC guidelines for testing. Aetna also confirmed that treatment of the virus is covered.

If you are having symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you should take every precaution recommended by the CDC to protect yourself and others. Aetna members should use telemedicine to speak with a doctor at 1-800-556-1555.

It is a good idea to set up your insurance account and print your insurance ID card to carry in your pocket. Read more about how to print your insurance card and find doctors on our International Student Insurance page.

Yes, IEC students can apply to stay at The Harbour if they will attend OCC after finishing at IEC@OCC. Students need to stay for an academic year to apply to stay at The Harbour.

Please add IEC@OCC staff emails to your “trusted email” list so you will not miss our emails. If our emails are not listed on your “trusted email” list, they might go into your spam folder.

Do not buy your flight ticket or make plans to enter the U.S. for IEC@OCC until you receive your student visa from the U.S. Embassy. You also need to pay attention to the “earliest date for admission” on IEC@OCC I-20 when you make plans to enter the U.S.

If you receive your student visa, pay attention to the “earliest date for admission” on IEC@OCC I-20. This date shows the earliest you are allowed to enter the U.S. You cannot enter the U.S. before the earliest date for admission indicated on the I-20.


We strongly recommend students take the IEC placement test after applying so they know their IEC level. If you plan to apply to IEC for the next available session, you should take the placement test after submitting the IEC application.

*If you apply to IEC@OCC more than 3 months in advance, you should check with IEC staff for the best time to take the placement test.

By taking the IEC placement test, you will know how long they need to study at IEC before they can complete the IEC Advanced B level to meet the OCC English requirement.

IEC@OCC students are not allowed to work while taking classes with IEC@OCC. This includes working on campus and off-campus.  After you finish at IEC@OCC and get accepted to the OCC credit program, you may work on campus as a student assistant if you find a job on the OCC campus. 

When you arrive in the U.S., we will help you make your IEC@OCC student ID card after the IEC orientation. Unfortunately, we do not issue electronic student ID cards.

  • IEC students have to pay insurance through IEC@OCC. 
  • Insurance is required for international students who are physically in the U.S and attend IEC@OCC classes.
  • IEC@OCC insurance covers sickness, but will not cover dental and vision. Please visit the IEC@OCC insurance brochure for the insurance coverage details.

*Government Sponsored students with a financial guarantee or students who are medically insured by a parent or spouse through a U.S. employer may be eligible for the Insurance Refund/Waiver Request Form.

To print IEC@OCC insurance card

After you make an IEC insurance payment, the insurance coverage starts when the session you pay for starts.

You can download your IEC insurance card after making an IEC insurance payment for 3 weeks. Visit the Aetna Student Health website to download/print the IEC@OCC insurance card.

  • Follow the easy steps to To print IEC@OCC insurance ID card
  • You will need to wait about approximately 1-2 weeks after making payment in order to print/download the IEC@OCC insurance ID card.

IEC students will have a student ID number but will not use MyCoast account until after they complete their IEC@OCC program and get accepted to Orange Coast College (OCC) credit program.

IEC@OCC international students are not eligible for a social security number (SSN). Students do not need a social security number to open a bank account or apply for a driver's license or open a U.S. phone or rent an apartment.

*A Social Security Number (SSN) is an identification number meant only for tax purposes, to track income and determine benefits. International students holding an F-1 visa are not eligible for an SSN unless approved for employment.  The SSN is not a work authorization. Just because you have an SSN does not mean you are eligible to work in the United States.

Students need to have a valid passport, visa, I-20, and funds to open a U.S. bank account.

Visit the following link Guides for international students, under “Driving in the U.S.” for detailed information.

If your question is not listed here, please send your questions to the IEC@OCC team at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and we will get back to you as soon as we can.